This time of year adds a few extra items to our “to do” lists… if your business slows down a bit this time of year and you’ve found yourself wondering how to stay more visible this year while still taking time away, here are five simple suggestions.
1. Have a Basic Goal & Plan
Don’t just disengage and disappear! Create a SIMPLE plan for the next several weeks based on your goals for the next month or two.
What could your plan include?
- A theme or two that your content will be centered around (here’s how to do weekly themes: YouTube video)
- Holiday promotions or special offers you want to promote and a few ideas for blog posts based on that theme (some ideas here: holiday promotions)
2. Use the Schedule Feature
So take time now to write and schedule so you know your content will continue to flow smoothly while you’re away enjoying time with your family and friends.
- A blog post or two a week (and look for opportunities to reuse your own content from other places for content on your blog, or feature guest bloggers to give yourself more of a break)
- An email a week for your list to stay in touch
- Tweets, Facebook and LinkedIn updates with HootSuite
What else can you schedule in advance? Look for ways to still be “present” the places that are important for you to show up, and find ways to create that content in advance and get it scheduled.
3. Outsource Smart
Which of the items on your plan and scheduling list might derail you because they take a lot of time or require things you don’t enjoy? Those are great opportunities to plug in outsourcers.
For example, inspirational and motivational quotes catch my eye on social networks like Facebook and Pinterest. I love to share them. Creating them takes time.
With the crazy busy holiday season, I decided to have some designed for me and thought I’d share a few. I love the way these turned out. Feel free to “pin” or share these on Facebook (you can find me here and share) if you’d like to spread a little motivation today.
And if you’re interested in having your own custom or semi-custom images created, I recommend Melissa Barham (use code “cookies” to get a holiday discount!).
Have some fun by looking for ways to co-create the content you need.
- Write a collaborative post
- Do a written interview
- Host a G+ hangout with a friend, client or colleague
- Swap guest posts with a colleague
- Ask 5 colleagues to answer the same question and then compile the answers and allow everyone to use it as an article, email or blog post
What else could you collaborate on?
5. Leverage & Recycle
Create content once and use it everywhere. Whatever content you do take time to create this month be sure you’re using it well.
- Turn your blog post into an email to your list (or email to your list into a blog post). Pull out snippets to share on social networks.
- If you create an ebook or report, pull pieces of it to use on your blog.
- Write a great response to a question via email or in a group? Edit a bit and turn it into a blog post.
- The images I shared above I’ll be using multiple ways on my blog, in emails, on Facebook, Pinterest, and more.
- Recorded a YouTube video? Share it on social networks and your blog. Or transcribe it and turn it into an article to share.
Look at every piece of content and ask yourself, “How else can I use this?”
For sharing on social networks, look for some of your more popular older posts and share them again (recycle!).
How do you keep up with your business and stay visible during the holiday season?