Why I Pay For Blog Ideas When I’ve Got Lots of My Own

Coming up with ideas to write about isn’t generally my challenge.  I love to brainstorm and most of the time I can come up with more ideas than I can use.  Knowing which ideas are best to go with and finding time to write complete posts to share, those are challenges for me.

So it might surprise you to know that 5 or 6 weeks ago I signed up for Chris Brogan’s Blog Topics at $9.97/month (not an affiliate link).  And I don’t plan to unsubscribe any time soon.

Why would I pay for blog ideas?  Because it really helps to get out of my own head and get ideas that come from totally out of the box. And when I pay for something I actually pay attention to it.  I read the email every time it lands in my inbox.  (Let’s not discuss how many freebies I’ve downloaded and haven’t read… I might be a PDF hoarder.)

My ideas don’t tend to wander too far since I’m very close to my own business.  Getting ideas that aren’t based on my business, my clients, my family, or my own social network opens up a whole new world from a different perspective.  It’s helping me approach things more creatively.

And, because he just can’t hide his brilliance, every week I get more than a summary of great blog post ideas (or article ideas, ezine ideas, video ideas, anything I need content for).  I get actionable advice to help me improve my writing.

Why am I sharing this with you?  First, so you can sign up if you’d like.  And second, as a reminder to invest in yourself and your business! This is a tiny investment.  It’s saving me time and helping me become a better blogger.  Totally worth it.

What have you invested in lately that’s worked out well for you?  Any great memberships, books, or other products you’d like to share?

Photo Credit: raja4u at sxc.hu

Comments

1. says

Excellent, Michelle. I’ll have to check it out. Anything Chris Brogan produces is well work the price. He even makes it super easy to pay if you have an Amazon account. Thank you for sharing this and all the valuable resources you share.
    ~Sherrie~

• says

Definitely. It would be worth it at a much higher price. Just seeing the way his brain works is helpful.

That’s another reason I signed up initially — I wanted to see how Letter.ly and Amazon payments worked together. It’s a very easy to use system.

2. says

Wonderful thought. I too have issues with this. I have about three notebooks worth of stuff I could write about, but often find myself thinking inside the box. I often wondered if there was a way to other ideas that weren’t the ‘same old thing.’

I’ll look at this. Thanks for sharing it.
    TAM
    Tammy Matthews recently posted… Overcome The Fear of FailureMy Profile

• says

It’s been helpful for me, Tammy. I get stuck in that box and even when I feel like I’m outside of it, I’m not far enough out of it. I love the weekly “kick in the pants” to venture a little further from my comfort zone.

3. says

Great point of view, Michelle! Far too often we get stuck in our own ideas and lose perspective of our readers. Getting an outside point of view is a great way to keep things fresh and get a large variation of posts. Asking for topics on a Facebook Fan Page or Twitter is also a great way to encourage interaction while getting new ideas that your readers are genuinely interested in.
    -Dillon
    Dillon Rhodes recently posted… What Kind of Business Do You Run!My Profile

4. says

Chris is definitely the type of person you want to link up with. The dude provides immense levels of value – much of it for free, for years – so whenever he charges for something you know it’s darn good.

I have a steady flow of ideas each day but can certainly understand the service and the idea….and the source rocks.

Thanks for sharing Michelle!

RB
    Ryan Biddulph recently posted… Snag Unlimited- Creative- Genius Blog Post Ideas from&8230&8230My Profile

• says

Seriously! When I read some of the comments and people were asking why they should pay for it, I had to wonder if they’d been following him. Anyone who reads his blog or has even just read Trust Agents would know it’s gotta be packed with value. It’s one blog I think every blogger can learn from, just by watching what he does.

• says

Hey Stella, thanks for stopping by – I’ve enjoyed your blog posts this week. I don’t know how much he does with SEO research for the ideas but they could easily be adapted to whatever phrases we’re working on ranking for. :)

5. says

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good product! Also, thanks for the reminder about investing in ourselves. I have people who ask me why I still buy products and why I still have a coach. Like learning is a deadend street? The more knowledge we have, the better we can run our businesses. Yes, there’s areas of internet marketing that I excel in and can and do write and teach about. BUT, there’s also many areas where I need to learn. I think of it as continuing education!

• says

Isn’t that interesting, Martha? People are sometimes surprised I have a coach, too, and continue paying to learn. But I know where I need help! And the continuing investments of time, energy and money into our own knowledge and self-growth is what helps us keep moving forward. :)

6. says

If I read one unread download a day, I bet I have at least one year’s worth on my hard drive. Guilty!

Personally, though, I have so many ideas that I have a fat research folder for a book on how to generate ideas. But if I were going to subscribe to such a service, I think Chris Brogan has some of the best ideas around. I save and file a higher percentage of his posts than even Seth Godin’s.

–Shel Horowitz, primary author, Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green
    Shel Horowitz – Green/Ethical Marketing Expert recently posted… True Self-Publishing vs Subsidy PublishingMy Profile

• says

Yep, it’s easy to download those PDFs but harder to find time to read through them all.

I’m not surprised you’ve got no shortage of ideas. :) I’ll be watching for that book…

7. says

I belong to the ProBlogger forum, Clickin’ Moms, Shuttermom University, Flickr, SmugMug (which I don’t plan to renew because of the lack of benefit), and The Blog Frog – which has a membership that includes advertising on the site.

Definitely works – I’ve gained benefits all over the place.

I also plan to attend two blogging conferences this year. One next weekend and Bloggy Boot Camp this summer. I’m so excited!!!
    Through the Lens of Kimberly Gauthier, Photography Blog recently posted… Photography Challenge- Fabulous FridayMy Profile

Trackbacks